Sunday, January 18, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week 1

 I think my best writing for this first week of class was my storytelling. I did my story over the nursery rhyme “Mistress Mary”. I really enjoyed the assignment and I really latched onto the title, which was slightly different from the version I had grown up with, “Mary, Mary”. My assumption was that the title and rhyme changed over time, in particular due to the negativity regarding mistresses in today’s society. Because of that, I decided to really base my story around the word “mistress”, and the story just grew from there.

My other classes are going well so far. I really like my schedule this semester! I have this online class and two classes on Mondays and Thursdays at 11:30 and 1:30. However, on Wednesdays my schedule is pretty busy. On top of those two classes, I am also taking two evening classes—on the same day! One is from 3:30-6:10 and another is from 6:30-9:20. But my classes are interesting. I think I am going to survive my French classes after all—there was a long, scary moment of doubt on the first day of classes. The class I am taking called “Techniques of Teaching a Foreign Language” is looking like it will be a really useful class for me, since I want to teach English as a second language. I also really like the professor! It is a bit frustrating though, because I have to do something called a micro-teaching. For that project I am required to prepare a ten to fifteen minute lesson in which I act like my classmates are my students. However, I am not allowed to teach in English even though that is the language I intend to teach, because everyone in the class already speaks English. I understand my teachers’ though process, but I would rather focus on teaching English rather than another language. I wonder what would happen if someone did not have any background in another language…. Now I have to decide if I am going to teach in French or Arabic… Hmmm… On another note, I order all of my textbooks via Amazon. So far only one has come in. How long can I go without them before it starts really messing up my grades? .... I guess I am going to find out.



(Image from The Economy of Meaning)


1 comment:

  1. Val, I am so happy to know that want to teach English as second language. It is so difficult to learn any language after a certain age. When I moved to the US eight years ago, I had some great ESL teachers who helped me overcome my fear of talking in English and helped me build confidence. Languages are difficult to learn and it is even more difficult to teach them. I am sure you will do great in your French project. Good luck with that class and all your other classes!

    ReplyDelete