Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook I looked at was titled RateMyRishi. I really liked this one because the whole premise was just fascinating. It imitates RateMyProfessor.com, which is one of my favorite sites to use when planning my schedule. I enjoyed the tone of the storybook, which was very informal and friendly. The quips between various commentators were entertaining and at times funny. I did feel rather lost, however. There were definitely a good number of references made to stories which we have not yet read. It made me feel like I was missing out on the joke. I did really like the introduction, though. I think the design was a bit boring, but so is the original RateMyProfessor.com design!

The second storybook I looked at was titled Every Lover A Soldier: Tales of Epic Love. This story book was really confusing for me. The idea seems awesome: three women tell three of their own love stories to one another. However, the first woman only ever told one story if I understood everything. The third didn’t tell a story at all! This was frustrating for me because the introduction lead me to expect to read three stories per woman, and I did not experience that. I was also annoyed by the design. Though it was pretty, I found it very impractical. I had trouble reading the stories; I couldn’t read the links to each different page at all. I think you have to balance aesthetics and practicality when designing a storybook or anything else really. I did love the front page, though. It was drawn by the author of the storybook!




The third storybook I read was titled Diary of Famous Love Stories. I liked the idea of retelling love stories from both the woman and man’s viewpoint. I did not really care for the author’s take on these stories, but the writing itself was good and I think the design was attractive without being confusing or difficult to understand.

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting way of retelling the love stories! Going through your blog posts, this one really caught my attention. I loved how the author told the story with both man and woman's point of view. I had never heard of Nala and Damayanti before. Through this storybook, I got to learn about them. Thanks for sharing this storybook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,

    I also enjoy a more simplistic style, so when it came to looking through these storybooks that is what I was really searching for. I liked the "RatemyRishi" story book as well. It is probably because, like you, I'm a huge fan of RatemyProfessor. All three were very interesting to look and I enjoyed seeing your response.

    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie! I love how you mentioned rate my professor for the first storybook. I also use ratemyprofessor too! I like how you took a screenshot of your screen because it gives a better idea how the website looked like. All three storybook looked very unique and you did a great job of reviewing them. By the way, your blog looks great!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your different storybook favorites. It helps me to get an idea for my own, and I also enjoy reading other’s favorites. I originally read the "RateMyRishi" one and really enjoyed it. I thought that the idea was very creative, and probably took a really long time to create. I agree that I was a little lost while reading it, but I believe that is because we have not met all the characters that they talked about in their storybook. Great picks! Your blog looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete