Monday, January 26, 2015

Sita Self-Immolates


Introduction: This story will be a new, very different version of the end of the Ramayana. It will begin from the moment Rama left the battle with Ravana. It will feature a much stronger female heroine and it will have a very different ending. An important note to keep in mind in my version is that Ravana did not suffer from any curse restricting his ability to touch unwilling women, including Sita.

     “He did what!?” I practically shouted at the poor attendant sent to inform me of Rama’s immediate return to his kingdom upon vanquishing Ravana. 

     “I’m s-sorry, ma’am,” stuttered the little man, “he was most anxious to reclaim his throne, seeing how the fourteen-year exile is ending soon.” 
     
     "Very well, I’ll make my way there myself," I muttered. “Bring me a chariot then. I’ll depart as soon as you can prepare me this.”

     As I traveled toward Ayodhya, I was a mixture of fury and gratitude. I couldn't believe my dear husband had worked so hard to find and free me, only to leave without so much as glimpsing at me. Luckily, the charioteer explained during the trip that my sweet Rama had been inclined to return to his kingdom due to his brother’s desperate state of mind—Rama worried he might end his own life! Of course, I immediately forgave my husband and spent the remainder of the trip in anxious excitement at the prospect of being reunited with my love. I felt very sure Rama would succeed in calming his brother as well.

     After a time I realized I was not in just any chariot, but rather the vimana of Indra himself! Suffice to say, the trip back was a very quick one indeed. We arrived at the city gates and I proudly exited the chariot. As I strode through the city streets toward the palace, I began to notice an uncomfortable air about the citizens. Darting glances, hushed whispers behind my back: all this greeted the return of the rightful king’s wife? I could not believe their disrespect, but it was of no import to me. "I’ll be with my Rama again soon, and none of these things shall matter any longer," I thought to myself.

     I entered the palace courtyard and nearly fainted with joy at the sight of my beloved husband!Finally, I would be able to move on and forget the wretched feel of the evil Ravana. I rushed toward his glorious embrace, filled to the brim with happiness at being reunited with him. Much to my surprise, however, Rama stepped back at my approach. I was shocked. His face was cold, shut off. I stood stock still, more confused than I had ever been in my life. "How can this be?" I wondered aloud.

     “It is improper for a woman who has been alone with another man to remain in the household of her husband. You may do as you wish, but you cannot stay here.” Rama’s words crushed me. I tried to offer a rebuttal, but only a faint whimper came out. My knees gave out and I sank to the ground. A cry of anguish escaped my lips. A rush of memories assailed me: the first time Ravana approached me, the last time--just before the battle began, and all the many times between. Every single time Ravana raped me  was burned into my memory. I shook my head, trying to clear my haunted thoughts.

     “You think I have forsaken you, my dear husband? Have you no faith in our love, the love that is known through all the heavens and the Earth?”

     “It would be impossible to believe such a beautiful woman had remained pure through such a long tribulation, I’m afraid.”


     “Not only have you held me to such an impossible standard—to avoid rape, being unwillingly touched by a man unwillingly, without an ounce of pleasure or love—but now you refuse to accept your loving, devoted wife even though you worked so hard to free her? I had no say in what was done with my body, husband of mine.”

Rama’s stoic expression made it clear to me that he would not reconsider. I immediately left the palace court. I would not be a victim—not again.

     It took many hours, days, weeks, and months of meditation, counsel, and self-reflection, but eventually I was able to live a happy life. I lived through the trials of Ravana imprisoning me, Rama’s judgment and ultimate rejection of me, and now it was time I live through something new, something good. It was at this point I met Ardhanaranari, who turned out to be the love of my life. Yes, yes, I know. I had said this once before. But Ardhanaranari taught me that love is not about being in eternal servitude; it is about equal love and respect. We take care of one another, and I have continued to enjoy my newly found hobbies. I enjoy reading stories of old, belly dancing, and I even continued my meditation—it’s great for dealing with the inevitable annoyances of living with a lover! Sometimes, I feel as if my new personality has lit my very soul on fire, almost as an offering to the gods...

Author’s Note: I had a lot of fun writing this story. If you can’t tell, I’m a feminist and this story for me represents the Sita I had been wishing for throughout the reading of the Ramayana. I still appreciate the epic as it is; it is a wonderful glimpse into the cultural and religious traditions of India. However, my feminist mind couldn't help recreating Sita as a stronger version of herself. I did try to convey her extreme devotion and original personality as much as possible in the recreated version. I also felt obligated to address the issue of rape in the story, as the manner in which this was handled in the original version really bothered me. I strongly believe it is important to address these issues in our media, and not continue to sugarcoat the issues as our society often does. I guess this is my little contribution to that movement. I only used one source other than the Ramayana; that was Wikipedia. I was initially searching for an androgynous traditional Indian name. I ended up finding this name because it is the name of a particular incarnation of Shiva—one which was half male and half female. I chose this particular name—among several choices—because it was the most neutral in meaning, in my opinion. I liked the idea of Sita’s new partner’s sex and gender remaining unknown. I prefer to let my readers make their own choice, if they wish. I pinned a couple things to my Pinterest board, which is here, in regards to androgyny in case anyone is interested! I chose the image below because it makes me think of Sita with a great sage, who I imagine could have been helpful to her after her trials with Ravana and Rama. In reality, the image actually shows Menaka and Visvamitra, but I chose to interpret the picture differently to fit my story. I chose this title because of Sita's final thought in my version, which is also a throwback to the original.

(Image from Wikimedia)

Bibliography:

Narayan, R.K. (1972) The Ramayana





“Ardhanarishvara.” Website: Wikipedia 
"Vimana." Website: Wikipedia

14 comments:

  1. Hey Val!
    I enjoyed your story! There were a few grammar issues, though. When you refer to Rama's throne, you said "thrown." And then in another line, you said "without so much as glimpsing me." There should be an "at" between the last two words. Simple fixes :). I liked the story, but the change in format towards the bottom distracted me a bit. And also, how does the image relate to the story? Although I am not as much of a feminist as you, I can agree with the societal issues that arise with a lack of recognition of women. I am currently interning in South Asia, and I spend so much energy just being aware of my surroundings, due to the fact that I am in one of the rape capitals of the world. I wish it were different, but it will take a long time, and a lot of effort, to change the cultural understanding of whole countries (as far as the roles of women go).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dakota,
    Thanks for the tips on grammar; I will keep them in mind next time! The formatting was actually not intentional. I typed my story in Microsoft Word and then copied and pasted it to Blogspot. For some reason it screwed up the formatting of the dialogue, though I edited it once before posting and it looked fine from the edit screen. Oh well! I also explained why I chose that picture in my (admittedly long) authors note, if you are interested. I am glad to hear you are staying safe during your time abroad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your story! The dialog was great I could see Sita being so upset but understanding with Rama. It took a couple turns that I wasn’t expecting. But none the less I enjoyed it! I think the dialog of this story is its strongest part. I can’t wait to see what you do for your final project for this class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, I am also doing the portfolio option so I really wanted to read some others that were doing the portfolio. I really enjoyed reading this first story. I am a big fan of how you introduced it and explained exactly what to expect and what was going on. Along with that, I like how you changed some of the details of the story, for example, the curse of Ravana.

    Along with that I like how you addressed the issue of feminism within your story. Using a creative platform such as our projects and our storytelling I believe are a very good way of addressing an issue such as feminism or other issues we face in our society. I look forward to reading the rest of your portfolio throughout the year to see if you continue to use this creative platform tot address such important issues and how creative you can get because this was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val,

    I'm not really sure about the "Intro" paragraph you included. It made it feel like a homework assignment rather than a story. Maybe if you framed it a story within a story, and then included that information in a dialogue.

    The story overall covers an extremely relevant topic in our society today. I am seriously impressed with where you took the story and Sita's thought process. It is interesting that you added rape to the story even though the original clearly restricts Ravana from ever being able to rape a woman. I suppose your version makes it more realistic and bring it more into modern times.

    In your author's note, don't forget to recite the original story line and then go into the changes that you made. Here are some possible edits you could make:

    "...but it was of no import to me." - "import" should be "importance".

    "I entered the palace courtyard and nearly fainted with joy at the sight of my beloved husband!Finally..." - need a space between the end of the first sentence and "finally"

    "...forget the wretched feel of the evil Ravana." - "feel" isn't really a good word here.

    "...time Ravana raped me was burned" - there's an extra space between "me" and "was".

    "...unwillingly touched by a man unwillingly..." - the word "unwillingly" is redundant. Remove one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val! I absolutely love your version of the ending of Ramayana. I was also very upset and confused when I read about Sita’s abandonment. Your ending is much more satisfying, to be honest. I can see how you incorporate modern ideas of victim-blaming into your story, and I think that is a brilliant technique to bring attention to current issues. I also enjoyed reading about Sita in the Ramayana and how she remained devoted to Rama and insisted on accompanying him. I saw her as a strong female protagonist in a very difficult situation. By the end of the story, I was ultimately disappointed at her passivity. Your version portrays a different side of Sita that overcomes terrible situations and leads her own life for her own satisfaction. At first, I was rather confused because Sita was never raped by Ravana in the Ramayana. I’m not sure if you changed this on purpose, but it is a strong story, nevertheless. I look forward to reading more of your work! (Repost from your comment wall because I don't think I was supposed to comment there for portfolios)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Val,
    I'm really glad you chose to retell this part of the Ramayana. I got the same annoyed and confused feelings about Sita's abandonment. I'm glad that you recreated her as a stronger character that after everything she had been through would gladly go off and start a new chapter of her life when Rama rejects her. I always felt that this was so out of place with his character in the epic and really made me dislike him.
    I like how you broke up your writing into easy to read paragraphs and your story covers a lot of different time and emotion in a concise way. I feel that compared to everyone else's stories yours is one with a distinct voice and purpose, and I'm glad that you amped up the character of Sita because she was my favorite character. Great story and I look forward to reading more of yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Val,

    Your introduction to the story was the first I have seen so far. It definitely helped to preface your writing and establish the expectations. Also, your story flowed really well. As a fellow female, I really feel sympathy for Sita. The fact that her husband is crushing her soul…someone who loved her so dearly and is now rejecting her for something out of her control. She is the victim! You did a great job displaying all of those feelings.

    I was annoyed with how Sita seemed to be required to display her purity by jumping into the fire in the Ramayana. Therefore, I especially loved Sita’s recovery in your version! It shows how strong women can be despite all of the challenges we may have to face. Great job!

    A couple suggestions:
    In paragraph 7, I noticed a missed space in the first and second sentences (‘my beloved husband.Finally, I would…’). Also, in paragraph 11 I am not sure you meant to use ‘unwillingly’ twice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val,

    Your story as very impactful, and held your views of feminism througout, great job! I like how you were considerate of your readers, by adding the introduction, because I feel that if you had not some things would have been a little confusing for us. The flow of the text is great, and the only spelling error I caught was at the end of your Author's Note where you state "Sita's final though in my verion." I'm pretty sure that you meant "thought." Your dialouge is very direct, and I was never confused on who was speaking, in your conversation between Rama and Sita. I read your most recent story last week, and since I'm coming to this one sort of late, I believe that your have done a great job in fixing the other things! There are many social issues that you brought up, as inspiration to your tale, that I feel you did a great job in addressing. Your Author's Note is well written, and clearly explains what you were trying to convey in your actual tale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that you included an introduction that debriefs the reader on the story's departure from the original version. It's a good way to prepare the reader to keep an open mind and not to expect a mere re-telling.

    This is excellent work! The mood and build-up of the story are well-established and you did a great job of portraying Sita's thoughts and feelings, as well as what she saw. The idea of Ravana raping her and her having acute stress symptoms as a result makes for a much more dramatic scene.

    Your use of descriptive words really gives this story a kick, and I enjoyed the creativity and twists you put into it. The moral of this story is wonderful, and I agree with it wholeheartedly. I also appreciated the metaphorical use of Sita's immolation at the end--great way to wrap up this story! :)

    Your author's note is great too! Very thorough and well-thought out, just like your story. I appreciate you changing this story to match your hopes for the story; I, too wanted Sita to empower herself more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Val I really enjoyed your story! I also enjoyed how you introduced your story. I think that is very important when introducing stories. One of the most important thing in a story is drawing a reader into your story and I think that your introduction really does draw your reader into your stories.

    I really enjoyed this part of the Ramayana. I thought it was awful what Rama did to Sita. If I was Sita I would be heartbroken and I wouldn’t know what to do! I think one of my favorite parts of your story was when you retold Sita as a stronger and more empowering character. I think that is really important because after what happened to Sita I think it is important to know that she didn’t just pine away and drool over Rama. She decided to become stronger from what happened. I really enjoyed your story and I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Val,

    I am commenting on your portfolio as you were assigned in the same group for our comment assignment this week. I like how you created a portfolio guide with a little description of each story under the title. I really enjoyed reading this story. The idea of including an introduction was quite unique for what I’ve seen in this class and I really liked it. A reader can quickly decide whether the story is of their interest or not.
    I did not notice any grammar/spelling errors. The story flows very smoothly and the context is great. The topic is a very important one and you did a great job incorporating the issue of feminism in the story. I like how your story of the version portrays a stronger character of Sita. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This story is so heartbreaking! Poor Sita has been through so much. So much time trapped and abused by Ravana. She finally gets to see her husband again and he bans her for being “un-pure” with a man who raped her. It is so sad! However I love that you took the plunge to write this story. It is a different perspective was absolutely great. I also found Sita to be a little too accepting and including her redefining her life is so great. You go Sita! You don’t need a man to be happy!

    There were only a few errors that I found in your writing as listed below:

    There needs to be a space in the seventh paragraph between “husband!Finally”

    There is also an excess space between paragraphs 10 and 11.

    Overall I loved this story! It was such a different perspective. I do not think I would have thought of Sita in this way if you did not expose her in this light. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on this story! It's so hard to read about something like this, but it's definitely something that needs to be addressed. Taking away the curse on Ravana and having him actually have raped Sita is such a powerful and dark twist from the original. That violation was enough for Rama to deny Sita, and refuse to take her back, which is just crazy. It was certainly right of her to leave him and never look back in your version. Also taking away the literal fire and replacing it with Sita meditating and purifying her soul internally as if all the bad had been burned away was such a great idea. Your story had a great flow, and was easy to read! I didn't notice any major mistakes either. This was such a creative perspective and you did an amazing job executing it!

    ReplyDelete