Thursday, January 22, 2015

Possible Topics for Storytelling

1       Sita: I am interested in Sita because she seems to be an important figure in the Ramayana, at least. I was hoping she develops into a stronger character, but it doesn’t seem like that really happens. This kind of disappoints me; I would have liked to see a more impressive female lead. I only know of Sita what we have learned from our reading, and that she is an incarnation of Vishnu’s heavenly lover.
  
     Research: I did some reading over Sita on Mythfolklore.net. It seems like Sita continues to play a supportive role to her husband, Rama. She doesn’t appear to ever move beyond this role, though that isn’t particularly surprising given the time period these characters were written in. I also searched on Wikipedia and found a more detailed ending to Sita’s story. I was interested because although Rama never took her back in spite of her dedication to him, she attained a happy ending by being returned to her original realm. Sita was an incarnation of Vedavati, and was the heavenly soulmate of Vishnu—who was incarnated as Rama on Earth. In a sense, I guess you could say the two ended up together after all.
2     
            Karma: I have always been interested in karma. I studied it whenever I took a course on Buddhism, and it seems that Hinduism has very similar viewpoints. I like the idea of people being held responsible for their actions—both in the same life and the next, if there is a next life. I would like to see how karma plays out through the course of an individual’s lifespan, or lifespans.

v    Research: The Wikipedia confirmed by beief that Hindu beliefs regarding Karma were similar to Buddhist views. I think I would like to focus on a particular epic, or character, and discuss how karma affected that story or character in particular. Vedavati would be a good example of this, because she incarnated as Sita in order to get back at Ravana and therefore fulfilling the karmic cycle, at least for the moment.
3
        Vishnu: I am interested in Vishnu because I think knowing about him would be more applicable from a Religious Studies perspective because of what a major role he plays throughout Hinduism in his various forms. I also settled on him because he is the one I have a statue of, and I think that’s cool! Haha. I don’t know much about him, other than that Rama is one of his incarnations. I would like to know more about his other incarnations.

Research: I am a little overwhelmed. There is a female incarnation of Vishnu called Mohini. Mohini seems pretty interesting, from what I found on Wikipedia. She is known for enchanting men, and it seems we will be reading about her later in the semester in the Mahabharata. I am also interested in Vaishnavism, a branch of Hinduism devoted to Vishnu. I would like to study this; I think it would interest me because it would give me more definitive answers about at least that sect f Hinduism. Definitive answers can be very hard to find in Hinduism at large! I have found so far that Vaishnavism believes in Vishnu as the supreme god; follow a process of initiation; and focuses on the literal meaning of scriptures.

4.       Ravana: I decided it might be interesting to look at Ravana, as he is the enemy of our current heroine, Sita. He really disliked Rama, too, as the husband of Sita. I haven’t fully decided how I feel about Ravana. I know he is supposed to be the evil character, but I also know stories tend to be very one-sided. I would like to make up my mind for myself! I know nothing about Ravana, other than what I have gathered in our reading.


Research: According to Wikipedia, Rama is also his enemy because Rama cut of Ravana’s sister’s nose! I found it interesting that two of Ravana’s siblings tried to convince him to return Sita to Rama. I also read about Sita’s sneaky trick to keep Ravana from attempting to string the bow and win the right to marry her. This made me like Sita a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment