Sunday, April 26, 2015

Gen. Ed. Review

I think my perspective on this course is a little different, because it could have actually went towards my major--Religious Studies--but I chose to put it towards my second minor--International Studies. Considering my major, I haven't really had to think about the Humanities general education requirements because they were all filled by my major anyways. However, I do think having these humanities requirements is important because it ensures that students from all backgrounds have a chance to broaden their worldviews, something I place immense value on. I think the only thing that bugs me about the humanities is that so few professor grade very strictly, which contributes to the stereotype that the humanities are the "easy" courses. I don't think it benefits students to baby them, especially at the collegiate level. Not that they should be graded super harshly either, mind you. Personally, I didn't have much experience with gen ed classes at OU. I took comp one and two online via Redlands. I learned nothing, put in minimal effort, and received an A. My professor made no attempt at constructive criticism. I took Algebra one as a concurrent evening course at a community college near my hometown. That was fine, but the professor also had really low standards. He curved quite a bit and allowed note cards with no restrictions at all on content for every exam. I never memorized a single formula, but I had mixed feelings about whether or not this was a bad thing. I also took American History concurrently, via IETV, which is basically a professor standing in a (usually) empty room teaching to a webcam, which is streaming live to various schools. I sat in a room with one other girl, no monitor, listening to the most monotone man I have ever known in my life. I mostly slept. I got an A. Our final exam was one of those READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING THE EXAM, then you read them and it says not to do the questions and just sign your name and submit it and get a 100. It bothers me knowing I learned nothing and still did well. I expect more from our education, but its my experience that smaller institutions as well as any non-traditional format (IETV, online, evening) all have lower standards of education.
Image result for gen ed meme
(Meme found via Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment