Monday, April 27, 2015

Online Education Review

I am actually a fan of online classes, though, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think the grading is generally a little too lax. I did like that this class still challenged my creativity and my writing skills, while also letting my learn about a fascinating topic. However, I know that I would have worked harder had I felt it was necessary to obtain an A. God, I hope I don't get failed for that comment. I know that compared to the courses I took at Redlands, those at OU have been better. I enjoy the freedom to do the work needed at my own pace, which this course especially allowed for. I also enjoy not being forced to attend a lecture. As a future educator myself, I am actually firmly against attendance policies for college students, but I am firmly in the minority on this issue. I like that it is my responsibility to complete the assignments and seek help if I struggle with the reading or anything else. I prefer to do the reading on my own, whereas many of my classes assign reading but the professor proceeds to summarize every bit of it in class, making me wonder why I bother with the reading, knowing if I skip class too often I will be penalized. I took another online course, "20th century India," and that class allowed me to draw connections between this class and the more modern culture of India that I learned about. It was also a good experience of an online class, but I still felt the grading was very lax. The meme below is not related to online classes but accurately reflects and explains why I am wholly against group projects. I am the guy on the left. I'm also the person that emails the professor to explain exactly how much every one of my partners did, or did not, contribute.

(Meme taken from Pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment