Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Commenting Review Week

I really appreciate comments that have details, as I said in my previous post about writing. I hate hearing “you need to work on your [insert vague grammar point here] without being shown at least a few examples of the issue. I also hate being told “great writing” without specific points being made. What did I do that was good? How can I repeat it if I don’t know what it is? I like to read through the comments on my storytelling posts when I am preparing my projects. That way I can remember all the corrections pointed out to me. I usually focus on an aspect of a story that really stuck out to me, when leaving short comments. Sometimes the formatting or grammar of a story is so bad that it really takes away from the story, in which case I will focus on that. If the story uses bland, repetitive vocabulary, I will focus on potential ways to improve that. I have not had a class before with this much peer review/commenting. I have mixed feelings about it. It gives several perspectives on each story I write, which is nice. On the other hand, its frustrating because so many comments do not have any real benefit because they are so vague or because students just tell me good job without giving any real critiques. I think it would be interesting to require at least one small critique per comment, which might encourage students to do more than just say good job. It is okay to politely make suggestions!




No comments:

Post a Comment