Thursday, March 12, 2015

Week Nine: Storytelling: A Widow, to Be or Not to Be?

My husband has died. Died. He is actually dead... I cannot wrap my mind around this. I cannot accept this. I do not know how to go on. My entire identity is intrinsically tied to his. I am a wife before I am anything else. My life was completely centered around him. He was my rock, my anchor. Now I feel lost. I am drifting aimlessly. What am I, if not the wife of Pandu?

Oh, no. It cannot be. I cannot even bring myself to think the wretched word, let alone say it aloud. Let alone identify with it. I refuse. I will not be pitied in such a way. I will not be that lonely woman. I will not be that sad woman. I will not be the woman without any purpose in life. I cannot stand the thought of it. I must do something about this.

Pandu is dead? I still cannot believe it. I was sure he would live forever, or close to it. I never thought much about what I would do were I to be relieved of my duties as a wife. Now that the opportunities presented itself, I cannot suppress the giddy excitement building up inside me. 

Oh, but this will not do. The poor man had not even went through his funeral rights yet. I shall have to maintain a respectful disposition until it is all over and done with. He was a fair husband, after all. 

At the funeral, I make my decision. My life has been dedicated to Pandu. What worth is there in a life that has lost all meaning? There is none. That is why I have decided to ascend the funeral pyre. I shall die with dignity. I will not be remembered as the pathetic widow.

I am standing in the crowd trying not to fidget. I am anxious to start my new life, even as I watch my old one literally go up in flames before me. What is that? I see someone going up the funeral pyre. They must be mad! It is Madri? Oh, my. I suppose I should have expected this. She always was such a loyal wife to Pandu and a very considerate co-wife, as well. I will miss her.

After the ceremony ended, I began to travel. I went wherever I pleased. I discovered new lands. I swam in the sea. I knew men other than Pandu. I experienced joy and freedom at such levels which I thought only existed in dreams. I hope to remain forevermore a widow.

Author's Note: I choose to do this sorry because I am both fascinated and horrified by the tradition of killing oneself over a significant other. In Indian culture it was sometimes not only accepted but even expected today a wife ascend the funeral pyre of her husband! And in western society, we idolize stories like Romeo and Juliet, a case of a double suicide over "love at first sight." I wanted to do this story because I wanted to try to make both characters more relatable. I wanted rafts to understand that Madri truly couldn't imagine life without her husband, while Kunti felt she had a whole new lease on life. I choose the image below because it is how I pictured Kunti on the beach, after the funeral had passed. It is not actually am image of Kunti, but it is how I pictured her.

Bibliography: Narayan, R.K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

(Image Information)

3 comments:

  1. Val,
    I like the way you truncated the sentences in the opening sentences to serve as an illustration that Pandu’s wife really was devastated. This is one of multiple ways in which writers can tell the story without actually telling the story. If not for the author’s note I would have been lost when attempting to partition out who was speaking at which point in the story. For a while there I was under the impression that she had an alter ego (ha ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val,
    I love that you decided to write this story as an inner monologue. I feel like you added some perspective to a custom that is completely unfathomable to me! I applaud you on making a topic that is so different and unfamiliar a little bit more relatable to the reader. The only thing I can suggest that you change is to make it clearer when Kunti or Madri is speaking but other than that great story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you chose to show both sides of the story from the view of both of Pandu's wives! Madri obviously was devastated because of how short her thoughts are. She can't even form full sentences out of disbelief. Kunti on the other hand feels free and is even excited! It's crazy that Madri chose to end her own life by climbing on the funeral pyre, but you did a great job of showing how much pain she was in which made it seem like less of a crazy thing. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete