Monday, March 2, 2015

Reading Review Week



My suggestion for future students is to focus on the reading for Monday, because it is the one assignment I have struggled with. I would often finish the weekend assignments at the last minute and think I was finally finished, only to remember the reading coming up. This was especially problematic if I waited until Monday morning to do the weekend assignments! I haven’t had any overlap in this class and my others, though three of my other four classes overlap quite a bit at the moment. They are all discussing antisemitism in one way or another, which can be rather difficult to read/listen to day after day, but I feel I am learning something important and beneficial for my career and personal growth. As far as the reading diaries go, I do not usually review them for doing my storytelling assignments, but I do feel they help me nonetheless because they allow me to collect my thoughts in a concise, clear, coherent manner which makes me remember what I have read much, much better. I have found that it is best to note DETAILS of the reading. I will remember the general plot, and if I don’t the reading guide will be there to save me. However, I often forget details, which can be very important for the storytelling assignment and help to tie in your new version of the story with the original, should you choose to do that. I also like noting character names and brief descriptions, because I am horrible with names. I chose this image because it is from my favorite scene in the battle for Sita!

3 comments:

  1. Valerie, I am going through issues with keeping up with the reading. It is so hard to keep up with it all especially with all of my other classes, but I should have known this since it is a 4000 level course. Reading diaries help me out as well in remembering what all I read that day/week. You’re right that it helps better to write out all of the details of the story in order to remember it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val,
    I can attest to your claims; I typically finish up the weekend assignments by Friday and have the entire weekend to read the next week’s story and write up the associated assignments. Additionally, I am right there with you when it comes to the utility of the reading dairies. They help me to keep track of the more pertinent facets of the story, but serve no other significant purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, this is my second time taking a class offered my Mrs. Gibbs and I never realized how true your advice is. The most important day is Sunday (assuming you procrastinate) because you have to finish all of the weekend assignments. I think that the reading diaries are an important part of the week because if you think about it. without the diary then most people would just probably forget what they are reading.

    ReplyDelete