Monday, February 16, 2015

Reading Diary B: The Battle Continues



 
I am most interested in the scene in which Nala kills Prahasta—during the battle for Sita on the island of Lanka. This takes place on page two hundred and forty-two in my book, which is pretty different from the page numbers listed on the reading guide, so I thought it would be helpful to write it down instead of having to track it down later. I like the scene because the battle feels about even and I actually almost thought one of the “good guys” was going to die, which is not a common theme! Luckily, rage took over and fuelled Nala’s passion, which enabled him to successfully rise up and kill Prahasta instead of himself being killed! The specifical wording used was actually quite interesting: “and drove the life out from his [Prahasta’s] body.” I just think that is such a dramatic, moving way to describe the killing of someone. I would like to utilize such powerful wording in my own writing, when appropriate of course. I also enjoyed the scene just before Prahasta goes into battle. When he is offered a drink from Ravana, Prahasta drinks the entire liquid gone and proceeds to eat the glass itself, along with some pepper seeds. Even Ravana seems to be disturbed by this strange and interesting occurrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment