Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4: Reading Diary B

So it has been really interesting getting to read this story in greater detail and having many of my previous questions answered as a result. One scene that still really irritated me was when the king grants his queen the two owed wishes, which she designated as having her own biological son become the new king and having Rama sent away for twelve years. This is simply nonsense to me. I have noticed this theme in Indian culture and it is something that is difficult for me to wrap my head around. I understand that once you have agreed to something you should not back out of it. However, it seems unthinkable for me to consider promising not one, but two, requests be fulfilled without any stipulations or clue as to what those requests might be. I cannot imagine agreeing to such a thing myself! But also, it is madness to think that the so-called stepmother of Rama could be so malicious, even if provoked by the other woman. Everyone is responsible for their own decision-making. It is very hard for me to imagine a justification for the queen’s actions, even if she did truly believe she would fall under such harsh circumstances if Rama were to become king. 

1 comment:

  1. The king promising his queen two wishes also angered me. It was sad that she used her wishes to bring hurt to both Rama and the king. I could not believe the king granted her wish of sending Rama away fro twelve years. That is an extremely long time to send your own son into exile. I was very angry with her using her wishes for such selfish purposes.

    ReplyDelete