Monday, February 2, 2015

Styles Exploration

Topic: I want to do my project over Vaishnavism, the worship of Vishnu. It is a particular sect within Hinduism. It is actually the largest sect! I am planning to do an introduction page where I share basic facts about Vaishnavism. I would definitely want to consider the story of Rama and Sita for my project, as it is a favorite of Vaishnavites. I also want to tell some stories about Krishna, as he and Rama seem to be the main incarnations of Vishnu that are focused on. I am thinking the birth of Krishna will be an interesting story to tell. I also found a story about Vishnu himself! A character named Narada asks for a beautiful face in order to win a girl, but Vishnu gives him a face like a monkey instead!



Bibliography: 
1. Narayan, R.K. (1972) The Ramayana

Styles:

1. Vishnu
I like the idea of Vishnu himself telling all of the stories, from a first-person point of view. It could be very casual, like he is recalling good memories with a friend. It would make sense too, because Vishnu was an incarnation or himself directly involved in every story I am considering. It would also back up the idea that Vishnu is all-pervading.

2. Each Character
I am also thinking of having each main character in each story tell that particular story. In this case I would want them to be telling their story as it occurred, as opposed to recalling a memory. I would want them to have as much or as little knowledge as their story would suggest they have--for example, Rama would not know he was an incarnation of a god when telling the story of him and Sita.

3. Guru
I also think having a wise old Guru tell each story to a group of students would be fun! In this style, the writing would be in third-person storytelling mode. I like this one because it seems like something that could, and does, actually happen. I could also embellish it with fun side notes about the students interrupting and so on.

4. Bedtime Stories
Also using a third-person storytelling narrative, I think making each story into a brief, embellished bedtime story for children would be fun to do. I would make a grandmother be the storyteller. I could maybe have a grandfather involved too. I think it would be sweet to have the grandmother play Sita and the grandfather play Rama, for example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment